Re: [Hampshire] [OT] has anyone got XP

Top Page
Author: Tony Whitmore
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] has anyone got XP

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x58495100.hantslug.org.uk.4348': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Tue Nov 21 17:08:54 2006 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 7920DB2171B98B64
On Tue, Nov 21, 2006 at 04:47:55PM +0000, hantslug@??? wrote:
> On Tuesday 21 Nov 2006 16:31, Paul Tansom wrote:
> > I do hope not, doubly so now we are a public list :) Any XP that came
> > with a PC is only licensed for use on that PC by virtue of being an OEM
> > license that MS sell at a reduced price (and even more reduced to the
> > likes of Dell).
>
> D'oh :-(
> I wasn't thinking. Stupid.
>
> If I had been fully functioning in the first place, I wouldn't be needing it
> at all...

Well, if someone has a box set of XP that they purchased off-the-shelf at PC
World (or similar), that wouldn't be subject to the OEM restrictions. I
believe it is a tranferrable licence. (Vista restricts the number of
transfers, as I understand it.)

Cheers,

Tony