[Hampshire] ide-tape vs ide-scsi

Author: Chris Dennis
To: Hampshire
CC:
Subject: [Hampshire] ide-tape vs ide-scsi
Hello folks

I'm looking after a Debian-based file- and backup-server for a client.

It has a Sony IDE tape drive, which works fine, except after a (rare)
reboot, when any attempt to access the drive fails with a "kernel NULL
pointer dereference" type of message, mentioning "EIP is at
idetape_chrdev_open+0x3f/0x15d [ide_tape]".

The problem goes a way after these commands:
    modprobe ide_generic
    modprobe -r ide_scsi

But I need to automate this at boot time, and because it's a production
machine that I can't reboot without disruption, it's difficult to test.

Are there any opinions on whether the following in /etc/modprobe.d/local
is likely to work?

    install ide_tape \
             /sbin/modprobe -r ide_scsi; \
             /sbin/modprobe ide_generic; \
             /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install ide_tape

cheers

Chris

--
Chris Dennis                                  cgdennis@???