Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Tesco music downloads

Author: John Cooper
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Tesco music downloads

Rob Malpass wrote:

I've tried to download some stuff
but on the screen that asks for my card details, I receive no https://
and no padlock icon.   A quick chat with their tech team told me that
it is secure - but without these visible assurances, I'm not so sure.
Can anyone who knows more about web security than me (not difficult I
grant you) explain how it can be secure without these symbols?

Hi Rob, some sites take your information in a special box on the web
page, encrypt it and then email it to the shop who manually process
your details. The problem is the link when you are filling in the form
is not encrypted, so in theory open to capture. I would normally find
another supplier who uses https, but I have used others and take it as
a small risk.

John.
Discover Linux - Open Source Solutions to Business and Schools
http://discoverlinux.co.uk