Re: [Hampshire] Re: DVB playback *too* smooth

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Re: DVB playback *too* smooth

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57403100.hantslug.org.uk.19943': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Wed Nov 22 11:22:31 2006 GMT
gpg: using DSA key B2C27BC21C335860
On Wed, Nov 22, 2006 at 08:58:09AM +0000, John Hunt wrote:
> I guess a better way of describing the prob would be to say the sound
> is about .2 seconds behind the picture.

This is entirely plausible. Try using xine to play back, and use
the "n" and "m" keys to shift the AV synch. If you can get it to synch
to your satisfaction, and it stays in synch, then you will need to run
it through a simple editing process to fix the synch (or use the AV
shift each time you watch that recording).

If the sync shifts in steps, accompanied by audible or visible
corruption, then you've got the worst situation -- corrupt data
streams -- and there's no easy way of fixing it.

If the sync drifts continuously throughout the recording, then
there's a problem with the frame-rate. I wouldn't really expect this
one to happen.

> On 11/22/06, John Hunt <johnrhunt@???> wrote:
> >I've just got my DVB-T card working on my new media centre. Playing
> >back recorded stuff is strange.
> >
> >The audio sync is fine, there's no jumpiness etc. Motion seems a bit
> >sluggish, almost too smooth it looks like. I was wondering if I need
> >to de-interlace on playback, or change my method of recording. I don't
> >really know a lot about this kind of thing.
> >
> >dvbstream -f 578000 600 601 -o >bbc1.mpeg
> >
> >I'm still at the testing stage, so I've used that to grab a bit of BBC1.
> >
> >Here's some handy details:
> >CORE cx88[0]: subsystem: 14f1:0187, board: Conexant DVB-T reference
> >design [card=19,autodetected]
> >cx2388x dvb driver version 0.0.5 loaded
> >cx88[0]/2: cx2388x based dvb card
> >DVB: registering new adapter (cx88[0]).
> >DVB: registering frontend 0 (Conexant CX22702 DVB-T)...
> >
> >And I have a nice shiny fast amd64 3700+ 512mb ram etc, so it's
> >probably not my system. Having said that, I don't think the card has
> >any onboard mpeg2 decoding. Could just be a crappy card?

That machine should be easily fast enough to play back the video --
it's faster than the one I use for editing and testing video streams.
On-board MPEG2 decoding isn't necessary with that kind of hardware, so
don't worry about that.

Hugo.

PGP key: 1C335860 from wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net or http://www.carfax.org.uk
--- Hey, Virtual Memory! Now I can have a *really big* ramdisk! ---