Re: [Hampshire] Microsoft makes claim on Linux code

Author: Alex
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Microsoft makes claim on Linux code
On 11/22/06, John Cooper <lug@???> wrote:

> Whilst I agree with what you have said, I believe the above comment could
> be flipped upside down and aimed at members of the FOSS community too. The
> issue here is that many-a-time, Windows users attempt to break the
> boundaries between themselves and FOSS yet alot of the time they are greeted
> with hostile and elite response such as yours above.
>
> I'm very keen to help anyone use Linux but when it is obvious the person
> is stuck with the M$ habit and is slating what FLOSS can do, thus giving
> ammunition to other of the same ilk, it needs to be answered forcefully.
> Being passionate about the having the freedom to use and create software is
> not being hostile. The point of this list is to ask questions like "why is
> it taking me so long to install my software", not "Linux is rubbish, I'm
> used to having to reboot my PC everytime I install something, why isn't
> Linux like Windows".

Agreed; however the list isn't really for flaming M$ now is it? :)

I believe it is important to discuss these issues, and wholeheartedly agree
with your original response (we definately don't need fuel added to the
FOSS-sucks fire), I just felt it was somewhat hostile and could have been
worded better - purely my opinion; nothing else.

Thanks,

--
Alex Collins