Re: [Hampshire] Microsoft makes claim on Linux code

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Microsoft makes claim on Linux code

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x585e5100.hantslug.org.uk.4011': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Wed Nov 22 15:12:58 2006 GMT
gpg: using DSA key B2C27BC21C335860
On Wed, Nov 22, 2006 at 02:33:10PM +0000, John Cooper wrote:

This is almost unreadable. Please could you configure your mail
client to send either plain text, or a multipart-MIME message with
plain text and HTML parts.

> I gave up on Rosegarden after a week or so of trying to get it to
> work.
>
> If I were a musician relying on a product for my livelihood, which
> would I choose?
>
> </pre>
> Afraid you picked the wrong software to make your point. As a keen
> musician, I use Hydrogen, Audacity and others to record decent quality
> stuff.&nbsp; I've had Rosegarden working fine in the past, but I'm more
> interested in recording than scoring so haven't used it lately.<br>

Actually, he picked exactly the right software. If you want to
write music *notation*, then there isn't really anything useful on
Linux. There's Rosegarden, which was horribly unstable last time I
tried using it, Lilypond, and variations on MusiXTeX, the latter two
being about as totally obscure as software comes.

Rosegarden isn't designed as a notation package (it's a sequencer
with pretensions of grandeur), and didn't really do a good job of the
layout. Lilypond produces beautiful layout, but is pretty much
unusable without a functioning GUI.

That said, I've not been 100% impressed with the scores generated
by Sibelius, either (I haven't used it in 10 years, but I've used the
scores from other people). The default layout that Sibelius generates
is "acceptable", but actually quite difficult to read at times. I'm
sure you can tweak it to something better, but IME nobody has the
inclination or expertise to do so. The sample output I've seen from
Lilypond looks a lot better than some of the things I've seen from
Sibelius.

Hugo.

  PGP key: 1C335860 from wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net or http://www.carfax.org.uk
                 --- My karma has run over my dogma. ---