Re: [Hampshire] Microsoft makes claim on Linux code

Author: John Cooper
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Microsoft makes claim on Linux code

David Anderson wrote:

John,

To install a program in Windows takes me no longer than 5 minutes. To
install into Linux can take me considerably longer.

JC> Rubbish. Yum and apt takes minutes to install an application. You have
JC> thousands of applications that you can download for free.

To put this into perspective:
I need a program for music scoring. Looking into what is available
gives me Sibelius and Rosegarden.

On Windows Sibelius installs fine and I am able to get on with
writing my score.

I gave up on Rosegarden after a week or so of trying to get it to
work.

If I were a musician relying on a product for my livelihood, which
would I choose?

Afraid you picked the wrong software to make your point. As a keen
musician, I use Hydrogen, Audacity and others to record decent quality
stuff.  I've had Rosegarden working fine in the past, but I'm more
interested in recording than scoring so haven't used it lately.

I agree if you are not used to Linux, buying the software with support
makes sense, but my point is you can do just about anything with Linux
and the tools are easy to use with some training/self learning. Nobody
just starting using Windows, it was a steep learning curve.

Software companies will start porting software to Linux to cater for
people who just want pay for them to guarantee compatibility.
Rosegarden is good software.

If someone who only used Linux had to use Windows, they wouldn't find
it that easy to use or install (especially waiting after every reboot
for all the drivers etc.).

Discover Linux - Open Source Solutions to Business and Schools
http://discoverlinux.co.uk