Re: [Hampshire] NTP on RedHat Enterprise

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: adam.trickett, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC:
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] NTP on RedHat Enterprise

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57b8b100.hantslug.org.uk.14431': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Fri Nov 24 10:39:31 2006 GMT
gpg: using DSA key B2C27BC21C335860
On Fri, Nov 24, 2006 at 10:26:15AM +0000, Dr Adam J Trickett wrote:
> At work we have three classes of *nix computers:
> 1)    Compaq DL360 G1 running Red Hat Linux 7
> 2)  HP DL360 G4 running Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3
> 3)    IBM System P AIX boxes running AIX 5.3L

> All of them should have the same system time, but they
> don't stay in sync. All machines are linked to the
> same two ntp reference servers on-site. The reference time
> servers on-site are Windows DC and they sync to another
> Windows DC in California (USA) where our divisional head
> office is.
>
> The Red Hat Linux 7 systems are running ntpdate hourly (yes I
> know that is bad).
>
> The RHEL boxes are running a local NTPD.
>
> The AIX boes are running IBM's xntpd.
>
> Yesterday I forcibly set the clocks on all the Linux systems. They
> then all appeared to be in sync with each other and the AIX boxes.
>
> This morning the Linux systems running a manual ntpdate and the AIX
> systems still synced, the RHEL systems running their own ntpd are now
> drifting away from the other systems. Comparing these systems to my
> Debian box at home which is running ntpd to pool.ntp.org, it looks
> like the AIX boxes and manual Linux systems are okay, it's the RHEL
> boxes running ntpd seem to be wrong.
>
> One system running ntpd had gained 5 seconds since yesterday when
> manually adjusted to the same ntp reference!

My guess is that the ntpd machines aren't actually synced to a
time-source. Check the status of the ntpd with "ntpq -p". The second
field (refid) should be an IP address for at least one of the NTP
services. If it isn't, then the ntpd isn't talking to the service. Of
course, it's also possible that the upstream NTP server is somehow
broken -- I know that Tony had problems with Windows time servers a
while ago.

Hugo.

  PGP key: 1C335860 from wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net or http://www.carfax.org.uk
    --- I get nervous when I see words like 'mayhaps' in a novel, ---
                because I fear that just round the corner
                          is lurking 'forsooth'