Re: [Hampshire] NTP on RedHat Enterprise

Author: Dr Adam J Trickett
To: Hugo Mills
CC: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] NTP on RedHat Enterprise
Hugo et al.

On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 at 10:39:31AM +0000, Hugo Mills wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 24, 2006 at 10:26:15AM +0000, Dr Adam J Trickett wrote:
> > At work we have three classes of *nix computers:
> > 1)    Compaq DL360 G1 running Red Hat Linux 7
> > 2)  HP DL360 G4 running Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3
> > 3)    IBM System P AIX boxes running AIX 5.3L

> > This morning the Linux systems running a manual ntpdate and the AIX
> > systems still synced, the RHEL systems running their own ntpd are now
> > drifting away from the other systems. Comparing these systems to my
> > Debian box at home which is running ntpd to pool.ntp.org, it looks
> > like the AIX boxes and manual Linux systems are okay, it's the RHEL
> > boxes running ntpd seem to be wrong.
> >
> > One system running ntpd had gained 5 seconds since yesterday when
> > manually adjusted to the same ntp reference!
>
>    My guess is that the ntpd machines aren't actually synced to a
> time-source. Check the status of the ntpd with "ntpq -p". The second
> field (refid) should be an IP address for at least one of the NTP
> services. If it isn't, then the ntpd isn't talking to the service. Of
> course, it's also possible that the upstream NTP server is somehow
> broken -- I know that Tony had problems with Windows time servers a
> while ago.

At least one of the time sources is reporting an upstream server.

When I restart ntpd is syncs okay, but it does not keep time with the
reference thereafter.

Either ntpd isn't correctly configured, or as you suggest the upstream
ntpd is odd.

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

Yes, I'm bitter and cynical. That does not make me wrong.
    -- anon