Re: [Hampshire] NTP on RedHat Enterprise

Top Page
Author: Tony Whitmore
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] NTP on RedHat Enterprise

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57324100.hantslug.org.uk.4905': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Sat Nov 25 13:59:04 2006 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 7920DB2171B98B64
On Fri, Nov 24, 2006 at 11:24:06PM +0000, Gordon Scott wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Nov 2006, Tony Whitmore wrote:
>
> > Cost about £300 IIRC and ran hooked up to a very old Dell G1 desktop
> > running Debian Sarge.
>
> If you can get a reasonable view of the sky, a GPS receiver will do it.
> There are a couple of receiver-only units from Garin (GPS35 and GPS36
> IIRC) that are around the UKP100 and not the kind of thing that's likely
> stolen. Just a black blob on a bit of wire. But they must see the sky!
> by a window's probably OK. 4 or 5 feet indoors and forget it.

That's what the link I supplied is - a GPS-receiver that connected to the
serial port. It was provided with a 10m cable to connect to the "black blob"
that is the receiver. Driver support for it is in recent (for a year or so
ago) versions of the NTP daemon.

Cheers,

Tony