Re: [Hampshire] [OT: (a bit) Digital Camera woes

Author: Jacqui Caren
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT: (a bit) Digital Camera woes
Stephen Davies wrote:
> At the end of the day, I made THREE Copies of everything. The biggest
> issue was that the Flashtrax has limited battery capacity and does not

Which brings up something I find myself doing a *lot*.

I take the laptop and camera to dog shows, events etc and snap prize
givings and then run off cropped A4 prints "there and then".

I hate having to sneakerware the CF card from the camera to the laptop
or transfer 9GB raw images via slow USB - printing is slow enough!

What I would *love* would be a corded or wifi pseudo CF card that
downloads images directly to my laptops hard drive - allowing me to
"Print and shoot" at the same time!
Not being a hardware person makes such a project beyond my abilities but
I would have thought that this would be technically feasible -
especially under linux - and something that would be perfect for almost
every 'studio' photographer.

having mentioned the idea to someone else, they suggested modding a
fanless linux box/card and fitting it into a battery pod shaped box so
the "laptop/hard disk/wifi" becomes part of the camera.

Jacqui

p.s. we take a 650W camping genset with us to day long dog shows as well
as a small inverter. Regarding the inverter remember that a car battery
is not a leisure battery - extended interver use without the engine
alternator running to offset the load can damage or quickly drain the
battery.