Re: [Hampshire] [Hardware] Laptop Suitability

Author: Jacqui Caren
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [Hardware] Laptop Suitability
Andy Random wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Nov 2006, Jacqui Caren wrote:
>

>>I think the book price for the next model up is now 299 so ~270 for a
>>s/h box with less of everything does not sound too good to me. Take a
>>trip to a big staples such as reading and see if they have anything on
>>offer (they are horrific at advertising online - you only see the
>>bargains in the paper).
>

> It really depends on how much quality matters to you (or the prospective
> user), I was using an old IBM T22 (so slightly lower spec than the T23)
> for a few weeks recently at work and I have to say it really was a great
> machine, nice keyboard, solid build, reliable and robust.
>
> If all you want to do is read email/surf and write letters the T23 is more
> than up to the job and a quality machine to do it on.

That makes sense and when I bought my machine that is what I wanted it
for - documentation and remote access to email.

However I now use it for video capture, photo editing and dvd creation
as well as having almost migrated from Frame to the much more mem hungry
Oo2.

I find that we use machines for purposes way beyond what we bought them
for - in the living room a s/hand games box is the PVR :-)

Regarding quality I *love* my acer - unlike a co-workers fujitsu, an
upgrade is a matter of popping a screwed panel (he has to literally
split his case in half to do a mem upgrade! Also his machine already has
broken USB ports - mine is handled far worse than his and I am always
putting big dongles with no damage yet.

So AFIACS my acer lives up to being well made and generally reliable
although saying this probably means it will now pack up on me :-)

Jacqui