Re: [Hampshire] [ADMIN] Next meeting - 2nd December

Author: Jacqui Caren
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [ADMIN] Next meeting - 2nd December
hantslug@??? wrote:
> I cannot be alone in this. So it is not only that we feel that we do not know
> our subject well enough - it is the knowledge that almost everyone else does
> know the subject!

I dont know how other people feel but here goes.

Being a software developer and an officianado of HCI/MMI I consider user
interface design a critical part of any development with established
rules and techniques that should not be considered "set in stone"
but generally followed.

I *know* I would be bored stupid listening to peers expound upon the
latest web2.0 UI fad or some esoteric interaction theory. I do however
listen avidly to how people actually use (and sometimes misuse)
existing UI's. Quite often the misuse leads to new ideas in UI design
and the newbies never get the recognition for thier input.

So if you are *not* an expert at a user interface then please feel free
to expound how you use and misuse a UI to me. I am *very* interested!

Jacqui

p.s.
My ex employer once set up a usability lab complete with videos + one
way mirrors, a recorded phone + support desk et.al to find out how
people actually installed and operated systems. This cost a *lot* of
money but the changes to the installation process saved more that it
cost on support calls alone - moral of the story - newbie feedback can
be worth "mega bucks".