Re: [Hampshire] [ADMIN] Next meeting - 2nd December

Top Page
Author: Tony Whitmore
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [ADMIN] Next meeting - 2nd December

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57225100.hantslug.org.uk.22005': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Sun Nov 26 14:34:16 2006 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 7920DB2171B98B64
On Sun, Nov 26, 2006 at 02:04:51PM +0000, hantslug@??? wrote:
> Speaking as a perennial newbie, I would worry more about the audience. I can,
> and have, spend/t 10 minutes showing Kmail's paces at a BaB to someone who
> was looking to choose an email client and wanted to know about it. But I
> knew that on that occasion and speaking to that particular person I did in
> fact know more about that specific application. A LUG meeting talk would be
> quite another matter. I would know that the majority of my audience knew far
> more about my subject than I did - on any relevant subject you care to name.

I think this is exactly the misapprehension we have to get over. I've never
used Kmail. To the best of my knowledge, I've never seen it in use. Any
information you could impart to me would be new. Even an experienced Linux
user will not have an encyclopedic knowledge of all software available for the
platform. An "expert" in one area of software doesn't necessarily know much
about another area. Personally, I'm familiar with two mail clients on Linux.
Thunderbird and mutt.

The beauty of a round-up is that even if, as an audience member, you are
familiar with the software being demonstrated, chances are you won't be
familiar with the next demo in five minutes time.

HTH,

Tony