Re: [Hampshire] [ADMIN] Next meeting - 2nd December

Author: hantslug
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [ADMIN] Next meeting - 2nd December
On Sunday 26 Nov 2006 19:14, flurble wrote:
> > Speaking as a perennial newbie, I would worry more about the audience. I
> > can, and have, spend/t 10 minutes showing Kmail's paces
>
> Excellent, well volunteered!

I have been watching the page asking for volunteers and feeling that perhaps I
ought to volunteer - after all, I would like to hear the others, and why
should anyone else volunteer if I am not willing to do so?

But I have come up against another barrier to "newbies", for which read
perhaps "Linux ignoramuses" ;-), doing these talks, short or otherwise. I,
for one, am simply not technically competent enough to get over the technical
problems in the time available - and I would think that I am, in this too,
not the only one. And I haven't got a suitable laptop. (That is one of the
technical problems - all soluble, none swiftly soluble by me.)

Note the "in the time available". They are clearly not insoluble problems -
people give talks. But I would not be able to get a demonstration together
for that site and that occasion. Since short talks are by their nature more
off-the-cuff affairs, we come back to the beginning of the circle. Perhaps
talks and "newbies" don't go together. :-(

Lisi