Re: [Hampshire] Simple way to monitor network uptime?

Author: Dominic Cleal
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Simple way to monitor network uptime?
On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 09:26:17 +0000, john lewis wrote:

> On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 17:41:25 -0500 (EST)
> Andy Random <andy.random@???> wrote:
>
> > > You could look at SmokePing: http://oss.oetiker.ch/smokeping/
> >
> > Thanks, from a quick look at the website it looks promising and as
> > an added bonus it is packaged for Debian so installation was a
> > breeze :)
>
> it is if you already have a working apache system I'd guess.
>
> <snip>
> so I decided that as I don't need a webserver on my main system I'd
> not go any further.

It looks like apache/httpd are recommendations and so you could get
away without installing them. Aptitude seems to pull in
recommendations automatically, but AFAIK, apt-get won't.

It appears that the graph PNGs aren't dynamically generated, so you
probably wouldn't require the CGI at all.

--
Dominic Cleal
dominic@???