Re: [Hampshire] DLink DSL-504T SSH woes

Author: john lewis
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC:
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] DLink DSL-504T SSH woes
On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 10:50:17 +0000
Paul Tansom <paul@???> wrote:

> Not sure whether I mentioned this on the [old] list, but some time
> ago I was having trouble with SSH through a DLink DSL-504T ADSL
> router. This is probably going back some time now, but since it
> wasn't a major hassle it got left. I came back to it this week due
> largely to the failure of both drives on a mirrored server (just my
> luck!) and the need to rebuild and reconfigure the box behind the
> router.

I bought a DSL-504T in June 2006 to replace the Netgear DG632 I'd
started off with when I switched from cable to ADSL. I was having
connection issues with the DG632 and gave up trying to fix 'em so got
the DSL-504T which worked fine once I'd worked out how to set it up.

I have no problem getting a ssh connection to my account on the LUG
box but this is outward bound from my home network - not trying to get
at a network behind a DSL-504 as you may have been doing.

> Clearly Google has catalogued the useful pages better now, or I've
> got my search terms nailed down tighter, because it turns out to be
> a bug in the firmware and all I needed to do was upgrade to the
> latest version (end of 2004, so possibly about when I started
> looking at the problem). Spotting this bug might have been easier
> had I not been told by the ISP that they had these units and SSH'd
> through them, and that included the actual one in question - I
> think not!
>
> I was surprised (not sure why) to find out that this router uses
> Linux, and the source code is easily downloadable - possibly the
> fact that SSH doesn't work through it helps the surprise
> (apparently only a poor iptables config).

Maybe the iptables config needs tweaking in the way Nick suggested
for the DG632. I would be interested in improving mine since it is
my only firewall but therein lies the rub (see ** below)

> Anyway, having downloaded the update and found that it goes on in
> two parts I started the process. The first part went on fine, but
> the second caused an error every time (the kernel part) indicating
> that the checksum wasn't included in the file.

<snipped>
> either Firefox of Mozilla when it comes to forms. That got me
> thinking of the obvious...
>
> The site I was working on was 100% Linux client and server, so
> although the message was clear I decided to hook up a Windows
> client with IE and try again -

<snipped>
> backup and had to manually input everything again - I wish they
> could ensure that an old config can be used during and upgrade,
> even if you have to modify some bits post restore.
>
> Anyhoo, if anyone has one of these old units, make sure it is
> running the latest firmware and if not use IE to upgrade it.

I have no idea what firmware is on mine but I since I only got it
in June 2006, hopefully the bugs you mention had been ironed
out.

** I changed the password from the default 'admin' and now cannot
remember what I changed it to.

I can reset it to 'factory defaults' but then I'll have to try to
remember how I set it up in the first place, something had to be setup
twice to get a connection to the ISP working. Perhaps I should have
used IE to do the setting up :-(

--
John Lewis
Debian Linux with Geneweb genealogy application