[Hampshire] DLink DSL-504T SSH woes

Author: Paul Tansom
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] DLink DSL-504T SSH woes
Not looking for help here, but thought this info may be of interest/use
to somebody (especially now the archives are public!).

Not sure whether I mentioned this on the [old] list, but some time ago I
was having trouble with SSH through a DLink DSL-504T ADSL router. This
is probably going back some time now, but since it wasn't a major hassle
it got left. I came back to it this week due largely to the failure of
both drives on a mirrored server (just my luck!) and the need to rebuild
and reconfigure the box behind the router.

Clearly Google has catalogued the useful pages better now, or I've got
my search terms nailed down tighter, because it turns out to be a bug in
the firmware and all I needed to do was upgrade to the latest version
(end of 2004, so possibly about when I started looking at the problem).
Spotting this bug might have been easier had I not been told by the ISP
that they had these units and SSH'd through them, and that included the
actual one in question - I think not!

I was surprised (not sure why) to find out that this router uses Linux,
and the source code is easily downloadable - possibly the fact that SSH
doesn't work through it helps the surprise (apparently only a poor
iptables config).

Anyway, having downloaded the update and found that it goes on in two
parts I started the process. The first part went on fine, but the second
caused an error every time (the kernel part) indicating that the
checksum wasn't included in the file. This seemed a problem that should
have been found by now, but you never know so I tried to raise a support
request with DLink - this involved a new router being put in since the
old one locked up as soon as it was connected to the ADSL line. Sadly
their site doesn't work well in either Firefox of Mozilla when it comes
to forms. That got me thinking of the obvious...

The site I was working on was 100% Linux client and server, so although
the message was clear I decided to hook up a Windows client with IE and
try again - it worked! Everything back on line and SSH in and out
working fine. The only remaining gotcha was that I couldn't load back
the original config backup and had to manually input everything again -
I wish they could ensure that an old config can be used during and
upgrade, even if you have to modify some bits post restore.

Anyhoo, if anyone has one of these old units, make sure it is running
the latest firmware and if not use IE to upgrade it.

--
Paul Tansom | Aptanet Ltd. | http://www.aptanet.com/