Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Virus scanner and Firewall for Windows

Author: m.nuttall
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Virus scanner and Firewall for Windows
Quoting James Ashburner <hantslug@???>:

> Bob Jelf wrote:
> >
> >> On Tuesday Nick Chalk wrote
> >> Subject: [Hampshire] [OT] Virus scanner and Firewall for Windows
> >>
> >> Hello all.
> >>
> >> One of my esteemed colleagues has come up with a
> >> plan to move a few of his staff to a new building
> >> for three months. Given this short period, it's
> >> not economical to install a phone line and ADSL,
> >> so the suggestion is to equip them with laptops
> >> and 3G cards.
> >>
> >> These will, unfortunately, be running WinXP, so
> >> need virus checkers and firewalls.
> >>
> >> May I tap the collected wisdom of HantsLUG for
> >> recommendations in these two categories, please?
> >>
> >> Ideally, both pieces of software will allow
> >> advance configuration, and present no questions to
> >> the user thereafter. We have many staff with few
> >> IT skills.
> >>
> >> Thanks!
> >>

> > Windows XP has its own firewall which I find works reasonably I do back it
> > up with Windows Defender.
> >
> > For virus checking I use AVG Free, which has kept me clear of viruses for
> at
> > least a couple of years
> >
> > Bob
> >

> I don't use a firewall (my router is my firewall) but ZoneAlarm is very
> popular, and I believe they do a free version.

ZoneAlarm causes alot of problems aparrently second only to Norton internet
suite 2006. Zone alarm firewall free version is a pain to remove and needs to be
done manually to be done properly. There are instructions on the outpost
firewall website on how to do it.

Spyware is more a problem on windows than viruses and i use spycatcher express
free version from tenebril. A good free firewall is kerio pf v4.

If you are looking at paid for versions PC PRo magazine has reviewed them this
month and recommends the f-secure suite.

Martin N