Re: [Hampshire] Killer Apps for Linux

Author: Tim B - Systems
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Killer Apps for Linux
On Thursday 07 December 2006 23:41, Alan Pope wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-12-07 at 20:36 +0000, Adam Trickett wrote:
> > Can anyone think of any application that is really impressive and only
> > runs on Linux? I couldn't think of much that couldn't be easily ported to
> > most posix like platforms.
>
> How about:-
>
> insmod/modprobe/rmmod/lsmod/modinfo
>
> Love them. Doubt you'll ever get them on windows :)
>
> Dunno about other non-Linux kernels as I never use them.
>
> Cheers,
> Al.

Linux for me isn't about any one killer application. It's about the ability to
choose, and knowing that the coders who wrote the software cared about what
they were doing, not just doing it for money.

As far as I'm concerned, Linux is as important conceptually as it is in the
solid state. We're a user group, not all of us are developers, and I've never
yet had to go too near the kernel (except using modprobe).

Cheers,
Tim B.

Woooo, that's my first post!!!

--