Re: [Hampshire] Killer Apps for Linux

Author: Dr Adam J Trickett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Killer Apps for Linux
On Thu, 07 Dec 2006 at 11:41:55PM +0000, Alan Pope wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-12-07 at 20:36 +0000, Adam Trickett wrote:
> > Can anyone think of any application that is really impressive and only runs on
> > Linux? I couldn't think of much that couldn't be easily ported to most posix
> > like platforms.
> >

> How about:-
>
> insmod/modprobe/rmmod/lsmod/modinfo
>
> Love them. Doubt you'll ever get them on windows :)

I must admit that I couldn't think of much other than some of the kernel
tools that are actually Linux specific. The beauty of open source and
the "unix modular design" ethos is that things are portable. Almost all
the major toys that Linux users use do run on other posix operating systems,
and quite a few even run on the non-posix like ones.

> Dunno about other non-Linux kernels as I never use them.

I don't know a great deal, but once you have installed most of the GNU
tools on AIX, it looks a feels a lot more modern and almost as usable
as a Linux distro.

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

A bank is a place where they lend you an umbrella in fair
weather and ask for it back when it begins to rain.
    --  Robert Frost