Re: [Hampshire] Killer Apps for Linux

Author: Chris Aitken
To: adam.trickett, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC:
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Killer Apps for Linux
> Recently I saw an article[1] where someone had listed the "killer apps" that
> Linux has. The problem with the list was that most of the applications on the
> list would happily run on any flavour of Unix, and quite a few even run on
> Windows.
>
> Can anyone think of any application that is really impressive and only runs on
> Linux? I couldn't think of much that couldn't be easily ported to most posix
> like platforms.

Avahi.

A bit of a cop out, as it is a clone of Bonjour (part of OS X & some
features available on Windows). And its more the technology that kick
ass, not the app (I may volunteer a talk on the subject one day).

This thread could be quite tricky, as most Linux apps would be
available for *nix/*BSD....Food for thought?

Chris