Re: [Hampshire] Killer Apps for Linux

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Killer Apps for Linux
On Fri, 8 Dec 2006 14:15:45 +0000
Philip Stubbs <philip@???> wrote:

> I would have thought that the GNU tools would be considered what
> makes Linux killer. Without those tools, Linux would be much less
> useful.

true and a lot of people would prefer we refer to Linux as GNU/Linux
for that reason - just as Debian documentation refers to GNU/Hurd.

I was having a look at progress on Hurd last night and whilst
it still needs quite a bit of work it is installable (with the
standard Debian installer I think) and can use several window
managers including my favourite (wmaker) _and_ xorg.

I still have one hard disk with U????? installed on it so I might
wipe that and give the Hurd kernel a tryout.

--
John Lewis
Debian Linux with Geneweb genealogy application