Re: [Hampshire] ADSL Modem

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] ADSL Modem
On Fri, 8 Dec 2006 16:01:57 +0000
Simon Huggins <huggie@???> wrote:

> In theory, after the 10 day training period, given three good syncs
> over three days (i.e. you have to reboot the router each day so it
> resyncs) the rate should be happier. Certainly that's what the
> information I've seen plus support agents from our supplier say.

<snipped>
> Strange but I suppose plausible; I was as doubtful as Jamie when you
> first wrote this. Did it start off at about 2meg?

My DSL Max connection started off at about 2 meg and has has never
improved upon that despite fairly frequent rebooting of the router
(using initially a netgear one and now a DSL 504-T) 'cos we
regularly lose the link.

BT say we are too far from the exchange to get 8 megs, the copper
apparently takes a circuitous route to get to us. But 2 megs is a
lot faster than 512K and we don't lose the connection nearly as
often or for anything like the length of time as we did with NTL.

--
John Lewis
Debian Linux with Geneweb genealogy application