Re: [Hampshire] Killer Apps for Linux

Top Page
Author: Adam Trickett
To: Chris Aitken
CC: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Killer Apps for Linux

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x575ff100.hantslug.org.uk.2474': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Thu Dec 7 21:21:06 2006 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 019AD0D8166C4BF0
On Thursday 07 December 2006 20:47, Chris Aitken wrote:
> > Recently I saw an article[1] where someone had listed the "killer apps"
> > that Linux has. The problem with the list was that most of the
> > applications on the list would happily run on any flavour of Unix, and
> > quite a few even run on Windows.
> >
> > Can anyone think of any application that is really impressive and only
> > runs on Linux? I couldn't think of much that couldn't be easily ported to
> > most posix like platforms.
>
> Avahi.
>
> A bit of a cop out, as it is a clone of Bonjour (part of OS X & some
> features available on Windows). And its more the technology that kick
> ass, not the app (I may volunteer a talk on the subject one day).
>
> This thread could be quite tricky, as most Linux apps would be
> available for *nix/*BSD....Food for thought?

That's what I thought. Though we call ourselves a Linux User Group, to be
honest we are really an open source Unix-like operating system user group.

Very few of us actually really interact with the Linux kernel, if Debian made
GNU/Solaris I'd give it a go - I've no specific loyalty to the Linux kernel,
I'm more attached to my distribution (Debian in my case).

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

Do not assume the other fellow has intelligence to match yours.
He may have more.
    -- Terry Thomas