Re: [Hampshire] Killer Apps for Linux

Author: Mat Grove
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Killer Apps for Linux
On Thu, 7 Dec 2006 21:20:52 +0000
Adam Trickett <adam.trickett@???> wrote:

> That's what I thought. Though we call ourselves a Linux User Group,
> to be honest we are really an open source Unix-like operating system
> user group.
>
> Very few of us actually really interact with the Linux kernel, if
> Debian made GNU/Solaris I'd give it a go - I've no specific loyalty
> to the Linux kernel, I'm more attached to my distribution (Debian in
> my case).

I am also OS agnostic with regard to function, I take a right tool for
the right job approach. However Linux was the first open source OS I
got my hands on and I feel a certain loyalty towards it, not enough that
I would choose it over other things if I felt they were better suited to
the task.

Basically the more rock and roll part of me sticks up for Linux
because A) it made computers fun again for me personally and B) The
Linux community helped me when I needed their help. I was going to drop
CS at Uni because I was bored of it all but because Linux got me
interested again I didn't switch, something I am very glad happened.

Mat

(Will also fight the Commodore 64 corner)