[Hampshire] QTParted and /boot

Author: hantslug
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] QTParted and /boot
Help! I am trying to partition a hard drive using QTParted. I need to sort
out what I am doing before I try at the command line.

I want my first primary partition to be /boot. But I am being asked to choose
between ext3, ext2, fat32, fat16, jfs, linux-swap, ntfs and xfs. Most of
these I can eliminate, but I am left with three, ext3, ext2 and xfs.

I have no idea which of the three I want, and googling gets me nowhere. I am
going to have the same problem with /proc, /var, /tmp etc. The only ones I
know are /home (ext3) and swap (linux-swap).

Can/would anyone can point me at a resource which is silent on the subject of
what I want, and verbose on the subject of how I achieve it?

TIA
Lisi