Re: Fw: [Hampshire] Killer Apps for Linux

Author: James Courtier-Dutton
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: Fw: [Hampshire] Killer Apps for Linux
On 10/12/06, Cayenne-uk <cayenneuk@???> wrote:

> However, Linux is still largely an enthusiasts Operating System, and I for

I think Mark Shuttleworth has changed that with Ubuntu.
His main aim is to make Ubuntu easy to use for everyone, rich or poor.
He takes a very good approach to this. He asks what makes Ubuntu
difficult to use and then attacks and fixes the ones that are easy to
fix first so achieves improvements in usability fast. He specifically
does not ask the question "What is stopping people move from Microsoft
to Ubuntu?" because there will always be windows apps that do not yet
exist on Ubuntu and he can leave that problem to other people. e.g.
WINE.
If Ubuntu is easier and better to use that Microsoft, people will move
from Microsoft out of choice, Ubuntu is not Microsoft Windows
reinvented. It is a totally different operating system.

> one would like to see it gain wider acceptance as a desktop choice for
> "ordinary" people. As a relatively new Linux user, (actively using Linux for
> the first time this year) I have been trying to judge how non computer
> literate users would take to it. Using Ubuntu 6.06, my impression at the
> moment is that they would be rather daunted. They would probably be okay if
> they just wanted to stick to Internet and Office (Writing and spreadsheets)
> tasks, but if they want to do more unusual things they can run into
> complications very quickly. Three things I have struggled with myself, have
> been i) trying to print to a Canon Inkjet printer (still a WIP), ii) getting
> WPA working with my WiFi link,

WPA should be easy, once your wireless driver is working. I.e. iwlist
ath0 scan gives some output. You then only have to configure
wpa_supplicant.

> and iii) getting a DVB Freeview stick
> working.
>
> Having said all that, I have also been helping a local charity to
> investigate using Linux (Ubuntu 6.06 again). Their trial user encountered a
> number of issues which preventing him using it for some time, but most these
> were easily resolved with a little training and apart from a few remaining
> outstanding issues, he is quite happy and uses it most of the time now. So
> now for the rest of the users??

How long did the training take? What are the outstanding issues?

> Kelvin

James