Re: Fw: [Hampshire] Killer Apps for Linux

Author: Cayenne-uk
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: Fw: [Hampshire] Killer Apps for Linux
On 10/12/06, Philip Stubbs <philip@???> wrote:

> * john eayrs (jee@???) wrote:
> >
> > The are advantages to both systems and both systems require different
> modes
> > of thinking and some people finds one particular mode of thinking easier
>
> > than another.

> On analogy that I like to use is Microsoft Windows is a bit like
> driving a car with the bonnet welded shut. ...
> Linux, in the past, was like driving a car that was not even fitted
> with a bonnet. ...

With modern distroes such as the latest Ubuntu, that bonnet has
> finally been fitted, but there is no way it will ever get welded
> shut like Windows.
> --
> Philip Stubbs

Whilst there are benefits of running Windows as opposed to Linux/AnotherOS,
the two OSs operate in different worlds. The Windows world is almost purely
commercial. You have to pay for everything from the OS itself, to the
applications it runs and any support you need. I particularly resent being
forced to upgrade to the latest version of Windows because applications I
wish to use now only run on the latest version. (Not to mention the new
hardware requirements).

Since obtaining my first PC I have personally paid for 6 windows licences!
Okay there are some freeware apps, but this is thanks in part to the
Linux/Open Source movements.

Linux however, lives in a world where the ideal is for Free Software, with a
few paid-for packages. As Linux improves, it is relatively easy, and usually
free, to upgrade.

However, Linux is still largely an enthusiasts Operating System, and I for
one would like to see it gain wider acceptance as a desktop choice for
"ordinary" people. As a relatively new Linux user, (actively using Linux for
the first time this year) I have been trying to judge how non computer
literate users would take to it. Using Ubuntu 6.06, my impression at the
moment is that they would be rather daunted. They would probably be okay if
they just wanted to stick to Internet and Office (Writing and spreadsheets)
tasks, but if they want to do more unusual things they can run into
complications very quickly. Three things I have struggled with myself, have
been i) trying to print to a Canon Inkjet printer (still a WIP), ii) getting
WPA working with my WiFi link, and iii) getting a DVB Freeview stick
working.

Having said all that, I have also been helping a local charity to
investigate using Linux (Ubuntu 6.06 again). Their trial user encountered a
number of issues which preventing him using it for some time, but most these
were easily resolved with a little training and apart from a few remaining
outstanding issues, he is quite happy and uses it most of the time now. So
now for the rest of the users??

Kelvin