Re: Fw: [Hampshire] Killer Apps for Linux

Author: Philip Stubbs
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: Fw: [Hampshire] Killer Apps for Linux
* john eayrs (jee@???) wrote:
> Windows I find easy to use. Yes you have to know where to find the drivers
> but this is not difficult. Even if drivers are not loaded it sort of works
> for the things I often do.
>
> For someone who does not run servers and just uses a desktop machine and
> likes a graphical desktop because I find many of the command lines in Linux
> not yet understandable because of my DOS background Linux is not user
> friendly while to me the Windows system is.
>
> The are advantages to both systems and both systems require different modes
> of thinking and some people finds one particular mode of thinking easier
> than another.

I tend to agree that if people are using windows, and it is working
for them then let them be. Just don't come to me when it goes wrong.
:-)

On analogy that I like to use is Microsoft Windows is a bit like
driving a car with the bonnet welded shut. It will get you from A to
B, but if it brakes down, or you want to make it go faster, you are
more than a little hampered by that bonnet.

Linux, in the past, was like driving a car that was not even fitted
with a bonnet. Initially it looks a little uglier, but you could at
least get in there to fix stuff.

With modern distroes such as the latest Ubuntu, that bonnet has
finally been fitted, but there is no way it will ever get welded
shut like Windows.

Linux may be harder to use than Windows, but I have found that it is
far easier to get help with Linux problems than it is with Windows.
On the odd occasion that I have tried to fix a Windows problem,
Google searches seem do direct me to closed forums and sometimes
even paid for services. I suppose people have to be able to afford
those license fees some how :-)

With Linux, help is so much easier to find. This LUG being one such
source.

--
Philip Stubbs