Re: [Hampshire] Killer Apps for Linux

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Killer Apps for Linux
On Sat, 9 Dec 2006 21:28:38 -0000
"john eayrs" <jee@???> wrote:

> For someone who does not run servers and just uses a desktop
> machine and likes a graphical desktop because I find many of the
> command lines in Linux not yet understandable because of my DOS
> background Linux is not user friendly while to me the Windows
> system is.

this sounds nonsense to me, if you are used to the dos command line
then you are more than halfway to knowing the Linux command line.

If memory serves me correctly the writer of dos (which wasn't billy g
despite the propaganda that says he did) used much of the unix
syntax so it shouldn't be too strange to use Linux.

All you need is a copy of "Linux in a Nutshell" to go the rest of the
way to knowing the Linux command line. You say you are a programmer
so should not have the problem I, as a user with no knowledge of
coding whatsoever, have with syntax.

> I tried putting Ubunto on a laptop with 128MB of memory it failed.
> know there are GURU's are would be able to do this with no problem.
> Putting Windows 98 on this machine was no problem

Ubuntu would happily install on my TP600E with 128Mb if I wanted to
install it. Laptops are notoriously tricky (or were in the past) as
the manufacturers often optimised the hardware for windross.

--
John Lewis
Debian Linux with Geneweb genealogy application