Re: Fw: [Hampshire] Killer Apps for Linux

Author: Vic
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: Fw: [Hampshire] Killer Apps for Linux
> Dr Trickett, why do you think that 96% of computers users in the world
> use Windows?

96%, eh? Source?

> I think I have got the answer, "it does exactly what it says on the
> tin".

*Guffaw*

I use and support Windows professionally these days. See if you can guess
how many of my own machines run it...

> I am a new Linux user, I do like to try the different distros but I will
> say that Linux will never be a replacement for Windows, as long as Linux
> remains non user friendly.

Well, I've been using Windows longer than I've been using Linux. But my
standard response to any problem is to boot into Linux - Knoppix has saved
many a local Windows machine. My reason? Linux is far, far more
user-friendly.

> I want an OS which it will work for me, without having to spend to much
> time "in terminal mode", trying to find drivers etc etc ...........

I've just (within the last hour) rebuilt this machine. I upgraded from an
Athlon XP to an AMD64. I changed the motherboard, the network card, the
video card - in fact, all that stayed the same was the drives, the memory,
the MPEG2 decoder, and the video capture card.

So how much farting around with drivers did I have to do? None. Not a bit
of it.

When I booted, Kudzu noticed that about a dozen devices had gone missing
from my system, and about a dozen had appeared. It asked me whether I was
bothered or not - I told it I was, and that was the end of it. My system
is now up.

Does anyone believe this would have happened with a Windows system?
Because I've yet to see an upgrade of this magnitude that doesn't require
a gazillion drivers to be found and installed (with all the requisite
reboots along the way). Indeed, with XP or Vista, it wouldn't surprise me
if I'd need to phone up Microsoft just to be allowed to continue using my
machine. Guess what? I didn't have to phone anyone tonight...

> In your opinion is there anything in the Linux development horizon which
> will come close to match Vista's capabilities?. If there is please would
> you share it with us.

Yes, I'm quite certain that someone will attempt to write some malware for
Linux soon.

> So far the closest I have been is by using Novell Suse Linux Enterprise
> desktop 10.1

A truly ironic choice...

> I know my views may sound controversial

Controversial? No, just ignorant, I'm afraid...

Vic.