Re: Fw: [Hampshire] Killer Apps for Linux

Author: Tim B - Systems
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: Fw: [Hampshire] Killer Apps for Linux

This has turned into a Windows v Linux argument, with a twist that a few
people don't like the command line.

Personally I like the command line. It's the simplest and most powerful UI the
world has ever known.

I still run Mandriva Linux on a P3 with 196MB of ram with no problems, and it
installed straight out of the box.

Documentation and commands can usually be found quite easily by use of Google.
Alternatively, someone in the user-group will probably know the answer.

What I've found with Linux is that when you have a problem, you need to be
willing to learn about it and overcome it. I've been running Linux for about
2 years now, and it's been a learning curve, but now I have two machines, and
elected to set one up as a Linux-Only server with various complicated bits
and pieces on it.

Linux requires that you can think about a problem as you administrate a
system. I don't think that's un-reasonable. I quite like the balance of GUI
and command line. I think that modern systems (and even RISC-OS to an extent)
have removed the need to think about using computers, and that's quite
dangerous because you are left with users who make mistakes they didn't know
how to avoid. There is a fine balance between making control of the machine
easy, and actually taking control away. If you don't believe me, try using
Windows Vista, you'll see what I mean.

I think that Linux has the balance about right.

Tim B.
--
Tim Brocklehurst Marine Design