Re: Fw: [Hampshire] Killer Apps for Linux

Author: Andy
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: Fw: [Hampshire] Killer Apps for Linux
Hi

On 08/12/06, luis <luis.castilla@???> wrote:
> Dr Trickett, why do you think that 96% of computers users in the world
> use Windows?

I am not Dr Trickett, but the reason could have something to do with
most computer users being ignorant. How many people know how to
install a new OS, or even what a new OS is (this is not a poll! I
suspect everyone here knows such things).

Most of them use what they are given, if they where given Linux to
start with would they switch to Windows?

You cannot judge an operating system based on the decisions of
uninformed users (and only an idiot would try such a thing). The
choices of people who have only ever tried one OS can be discounted,
they are not informed, they can not make a wise decision as they do
not hold all the facts.

The important question is what do people who have access to both prefer to use?
I went to great pains to install Linux (reading docs, downloading
ISOs, repartitioning drives), I have never done that for Windows! I
have both Windows and Linux present on this machine, I am given a
choice at every boot (I know I can remove this, but I have it like
this for a reason), and what do I chose most times? Linux. I have
tried both, I used Windows for much longer than I did Linux (only been
on Linux for about a year).

How many machines have been converted from Linux to Windows?
How many machines have been converted from Windows to Linux?
(of course that is also a biased statistic)

> I think I have got the answer, "it does exactly what it says on the
> tin".

bull!I I seem to remember Microsoft touting how secure Windows XP was
meant to be, and was it? No it most certainly was not!!! (from someone
who had a machine that managed to get infected within minutes of
connecting it to the net, the worm got in before the machine had time
to download all the patches lol).
It didn't help that it shipped with Firewall off, and unneeded
services listening to Internet connected ports!

> I am a new Linux user, I do like to try the different distros but I will
> say that Linux will never be a replacement for Windows, as long as Linux
> remains non user friendly.

I assume you have installed Windows and are not using a pre-installed
version, I assume that is extremely easy?

Incidentally I just installed a copy of Ubuntu on a friends old PC
(need it for working with an embedded system running Linux), he was
heard to say 'I was supprised how fast it installed'.

> I want an OS which it will work for me, without having to spend to much
> time "in terminal mode", trying to find drivers etc etc ...........

Don't you need to find Windows drivers as well? Its what those driver CDs are.

I personally find nothing wrong with the terminal it is an extremely
useful tool.
Whats the point of booting something graphical which will be
inherently slower (GUI is often front end to CLI so GUI can only be
slower).
You will note that a lot of guides and tutorials are written for the
command line not because you need to use the command line but because
its easier.
what would you find easier?
Me talking you through installing stuff using a GUI, or telling you to
copy and paste an apt-get command?

> In your opinion is there anything in the Linux development horizon which
> will come close to match Vista's capabilities?. If there is please would
> you share it with us.

Which capabilities? Being vague is really not helpful.
Vista is playing catchup in some areas.
64 bit support, been in Linux distros for a while

Looking at vista's features, in the order quoted from MS:
User interface, well it doesn't actually talk much about this, but
GNU/Linux has a UI

Security, well its Windows, security firms are already reporting that
old threats where still in Vista. Linux on the other hand is more
secure so we got that feature, and we do it better.

Search - Linux has had that for a while now, nice to see MS playing
catchup again

IE7, we have FF2, why would we even want IE7? Another feature we win hands down.

Sidebar & Gadgets, not sure what the sidebar is, but gadgets looks a
lot like those things you can add to the panel in Gnome, another
feature we already have.

Performance, can't test this till I get my hands on it, but its min
requirements suggest it does not perform well if it needs all those
things.

Backup, Linux could do with a more user-friendly home backup solution,
all the ones I have seen are all about remote backup to servers, and
all I want to do is whack in a CDR (maybe I just haven't found the
right app yet)

Networking, apparently its easier in Vista. I know many would say
networking is hell in Linux, but I remember a time when I needed to
switch machines to a static IP, on Linux so simple its not even funny.
On Windows, HELL!!!!!!!!!! How was I meant to know its hidden in
something like networks - properties, then select TCP/IP and another
properties and so on, how is anyone meant to know to look there?

Sideshow, allows laptop manufacturers to add a second screen for data.
Laptop manufacturers can modify anything about Linux, not a problem.

Speech Recognition, we aren't very good at this, but then neither are
Microsoft <http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=-1123221217782777472>

Help and Feedback, they tout there 'remote assistance' feature, erm
precisely how long has Linux had SSH available? This is really old hat
guys.

Windows Update, we have updaters that can update the entire system,
and they won't stop working because you have changed part of your PC,
or they decide that you seem like a dodgy guy.

Again can you precisely refer to which capabilities we are lacking?

> So far the closest I have been is by using Novell Suse Linux Enterprise
> desktop 10.1

Everything I mentioned above is possible on Ubuntu, and most probably
other distros

> I know my views may sound controversial as I am speaking in a Linux user
> group, but we are still a minority and will stay this way forever.

The problem is counting the number of installed Linuxes, I used an old
CD to install Ubuntu on a machine today, how was that counted?

I do however like your ability to see into the future with 20/20
vision, perhaps I could trouble you to tell me the Lottery numbers for
next weeks draws?

> P.S I am writing this mail from my new Ubuntu 6.10 installation.

Ubuntu 6.06 here, I wanted to stay with the LTS because I know it
works nicely for me, unfortunately the damn people at canonical have
made feisty look really tempting, I might have to install that (if
only the proprietary drivers weren't default!)

- Andy

--
Did you think it should be legal to rip a CD to your PC or MP3 player?
Change the law, sign the petition http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/privatecopy/