Re: Fw: [Hampshire] Killer Apps for Linux

Author: john eayrs
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: Fw: [Hampshire] Killer Apps for Linux
On Friday 08 December 2006 21:45, luis wrote:

>I am a new Linux user, I do like to try the different distros but I will
>say that Linux will never be a replacement for Windows, as long as Linux
>remains non user friendly.

and started something.

I agree with what luis says.

I have just downloaded Suse 10.2 installed it only to find it come up in
text mode when I expected it to have a nice graphical display. Being
ignorant of Linux and not knowing what to do to resolve this I re-installed
it. I found that it had given the incorrect screen resolution.

Windows I find easy to use. Yes you have to know where to find the drivers
but this is not difficult. Even if drivers are not loaded it sort of works
for the things I often do.

For someone who does not run servers and just uses a desktop machine and
likes a graphical desktop because I find many of the command lines in Linux
not yet understandable because of my DOS background Linux is not user
friendly while to me the Windows system is.

The are advantages to both systems and both systems require different modes
of thinking and some people finds one particular mode of thinking easier
than another.

Wars of words where one person defends their particular system in contrast
to another is not productive.

I am trying to use Linux more because there are problems with windows. It
is a slow learning curve because I have to think differently to in order to
use Linux.

I lost an extended partition last week there was no way that I could have
retrieved the lost data in Linux but I was able to find written windows
software that could do it. Knoppix was useful in the task in that I was
able to copy the entire drive to another drive so that I did not overwrite
any of the original data by accident. If I had to I could have done the job
in DOS but it would have taken me a little time to write the software to do
this. Knoppix was the quicker solution.

In another case I had some data on one disk which needed copying to another.
I connected the drives to the machine up and thought I try to do the copying
in Linux as it was a dual boot system. The connected drive was unmountable
in Linux without putting in various commands which I would have had to look
up (if I knew where to look). I switched the machine off and did the job
using BartPe xp on a CD.

I tried putting Ubunto on a laptop with 128MB of memory it failed. I know
there are GURU's are would be able to do this with no problem. Putting
Windows 98 on this machine was no problem.

Each system Windows and Linux have their strengths and weaknesses where
different users are concerned.

At the moment I am looking forward to watching films using mplayer on SUSE
10.2. But I have to do the reading on how to first. In windows I installed
BSplayer and the various codecs with no problem. In less than 5 minutes.

John Eayrs