Re: Fw: [Hampshire] Killer Apps for Linux

Top Page
Author: Tony Whitmore
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: Fw: [Hampshire] Killer Apps for Linux

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x572af100.hantslug.org.uk.15599': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Sun Dec 10 10:35:00 2006 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 7920DB2171B98B64
Alan Pope wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-12-09 at 21:28 +0000, john eayrs wrote:
>> I tried putting Ubunto on a laptop with 128MB of memory it failed.
>
> Attempting to install Ubuntu from the live (Desktop) CD will do. The
> Live (Desktop) CD needs enough memory to run the X environment, GNOME
> and the installer.
>
> However there is also an "Alternate" CD which boots to a text mode
> installer.

It also underlines the importance of reading the minimum requirements
for the software you're trying to use. If, for example, a live CD says
it requires 256MB of RAM, there's probably a reason for that and it's
not totally surprising if using it on a system with 128MB RAM fails.

John would be equally hard pushed to get Windows XP to run on 128MB of
RAM, and would stand no chance with Windows Vista. However, I bet a
legacy Linux distro of the appropriate era would install as well as
Windows 98.

The advantage of Linux is that there are still distros designed for
hardware that old and they are updated and supported, unlike Windows 98.

Tony