Re: [Hampshire] compile

Author: hantslug
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] compile
On Monday 11 Dec 2006 09:02, John Wesley wrote:
> On 11/12/06, hantslug@??? <hantslug@???> wrote:
> > Help! I have been trying (for real, this time) to install Sunbird. I
> > have
> > downloaded, unzipped and extracted the tarball and now have all the
> > necessary
> > files in a directory called "sunbird".
> >
> > So I changed directory to sunbird and tried to run ./configure. I also
> > tried
> > to install configure, but could find only configure-debian, which I duly
> > installed with aptitude. I then started trying to run ./configure again.
> >
> > The result is below.(1) What am I doing wrong?
> >
> > TIA
> > Lisi
> >
> > 1.
> > [root@Tux:/home/lisi/Computer_and_Linux_stuff/sunbird]# ./configure
> > bash: ./configure: No such file or directory
>
> Ok so there is isn't a configure script in the Sunbird directory.
>
> Can you do an ls in the directory and post the result?

LICENSE     defaults            greprefs        libfreebl3.so  libnssckbi.so
libsoftokn3.chk  libxpcom_core.so        res             updater
README.txt  dependentlibs.list  icons           libmozjs.so    libplc4.so
libsoftokn3.so   libxpistub.so           run-mozilla.sh  updates
chrome      dictionaries        js              libnspr4.so    libplds4.so
libssl3.so       mozilla-xremote-client  sunbird         xpicleanup
components  extensions          libfreebl3.chk  libnss3.so     libsmime3.so
libxpcom.so      removed-files           sunbird-bin

> The one I just downloaded from here
> http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar/sunbird/download.html is a
> prebuilt one so there's no need to compile.

Doh. :-( That is the one I downloaded, so it probably doesn't need compiling
at that rate - but how do I run it?

(And how do I tell when a tarball doesn't need compiling? I was under the
obviously erroneous impression that they all did, and have stuck so far to
things I could apt-get.)

TIA - and thanks for your help so far -
Lisi