Re: [Hampshire] compile

Author: John Wesley
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] compile

> Doh. :-( That is the one I downloaded, so it probably doesn't need
> compiling
> at that rate - but how do I run it?

You just do ./sunbird-bin in the sunbird directory

(And how do I tell when a tarball doesn't need compiling? I was under the
> obviously erroneous impression that they all did, and have stuck so far to
> things I could apt-get.)

Umm well normally you look for a file in the un-tarred directory that has
the same name as the program you were expecting to compile. So in this case
you were expecting to compile sunbird, but there's already a sunbird-bin
file so there's no need.

Sometimes it's easier the other way around - so if it has a makefile or a
configure script then you probably need to build it :)

Hope that helps

jonh