Re: [Hampshire] Mail routing with secondary MX

Top Page
Author: Andy Smith
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Mail routing with secondary MX

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x5819e100.hantslug.org.uk.32045': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Tue Dec 12 17:10:41 2006 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 2099B64CBF15490B
On Tue, Dec 12, 2006 at 04:36:30PM +0000, Paul Tansom wrote:
> I'm playing a bit with my mail routing at the moment and wondered if
> anyone had any suggestions. My current setup for a couple of spare
> domains I have is this:
>
> Primary MX - my local server on ADSL
> Secondary MX - my external server

I would not do it this way around. If a server is not online all
the time and reliable then it isn't suitable for use as an MX.
Your call however..

> Does anyone have a better suggestion as to a solution? This looks to be
> a standard problem on a secondary MX server, but since this is being
> used all the time it is more of an issue.

Use Exim and recipient callouts - Your secondary MX will contact the
primary MX during SMTP conversation whenever someone tries to relay
an email through it, and issue the RCPT cvommand to check the
recipient is valid.

If it is not valid then your secondary rejects the mail without
generating a DSN. If it is valid then your secondary accepts the
mail (relaying on) and caches this fact.

If the secondary can't get through (like if your primary is dead)
then it tempfails and the secondary accepts and queues the mail.
Thus you only have the "accept everything, bounce later" problem
when your primary is down.

If that is unacceptable then you'll need to distribute your valid
recipient list to all MXes. I can point to resources of how to do
this in Exim if you really want to go that way.

Cheers,
Andy

--
http://strugglers.net/wiki/Xen_hosting -- A Xen VPS hosting hobby
Encrypted mail welcome - keyid 0x604DE5DB