[Hampshire] locking a CVS repository during backup?

Author: Andy Random
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] locking a CVS repository during backup?

Hi,

I'm looking for a way to lock a CVS repository during backup.

I've only just started working with CVS and I've inherited a backup method
which takes the CVS server offline, backs up and then restart it.

However there is now a requirement to run some automated processes
overnight which need read access to the CVS server and the backup is
getting in the way. So I'm looking for a way to lock all the repositories
so no changes can be made but read access is still available, do the
backup and then unlock everything again.

I'd have thought this was a fairly standard sort of requirement but as I
said I'm new to CVS.

I've found information on using #cvs.rfl/#cvs.wfl/#cvs.lock to lock a
directory, but as I understand it this requires you to lock each directory
individually and there are literally thousands of directories which need
locking.

Isn't there some higher level lock mechanism or failing that a
pre-existing (well tested) script which recurses through the directory
structure and locks an entire server, then allows it to be unlocked in a
similar manner?

Thanks,

    Andy
--
P.S. Suggestions of upgrading to Subversion (or some other CM tool) can be
sent to /dev/null as that just isn't an option for this system.