[Hampshire] Re: No more non-GPL Linux kernel modules?

Author: Jim Kissel
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] Re: No more non-GPL Linux kernel modules?
Andy Smith <andy@???> wrote:

> So,
>
> No more non-GPL Linux kernel modules 12 months from now:
>
> http://www.kroah.com/log/2006/12/13#2006_12_13
>
> But Linus doesn't think it's the right thing to do:
>
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/475824
>
> What do you think?

I'm with Trovalds on this:

"Was the point to alienate people by showing how we're less about the
technology than about licenses?"

I respect RMS/FSF/GPL and all he/they/it have done for GNU/Linux/FOSS
computing, but to make use of my Viewsonic 201b in glorious 1600x1200
mode, I needed to load a non-GPL'ed Nvidia driver. I used EasyUbuntu to
resolve a number of problems with the default install. Doing so, I
didn't have to sign a NDA, fore-swear the GPL, or drink the Koolaid.
What am I going to do post January 2008?

....or will their be a fork in the kernel? I suspect a fork myself with
the purists going with the no non-GPL modules and the rotw with the
current status quo. I'm sure Microsoft will Astroturf this one as it's
just too good an opportunity to split the GNU/Linux/FOSS community.