Re: [Hampshire] Re: No more non-GPL Linux kernel modules?

Author: Dr Adam J Trickett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Re: No more non-GPL Linux kernel modules?
On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 at 01:41:43PM +0000, Jim Kissel wrote:
> Andy Smith <andy@???> wrote:
>
> >No more non-GPL Linux kernel modules 12 months from now:
> >
> ....or will their be a fork in the kernel? I suspect a fork myself with
> the purists going with the no non-GPL modules and the rotw with the
> current status quo. I'm sure Microsoft will Astroturf this one as it's
> just too good an opportunity to split the GNU/Linux/FOSS community.

I suspect there will be a lot of hot air then a sensible solution will
be worked out. Debian's threat to ditch Firefox/Thunderbird seems to have
improved the Mozilla Foundations attitude and a sensible solution appears to
be in the offing now.

I can understand the feeling of the people who feel that their GPL code is being
unfairly exploited by others inserting non-GPL code into the kernel they have
contributed to. At the same time sometimes it's the only way to use certain
hardware. Perhaps this may encorage AMD/ATI and nVidia et al to be a little
more open with their hardware.

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity
has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further.
    -- Richard Dawkins