Re: [Hampshire] No more non-GPL Linux kernel modules?

Author: mark
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] No more non-GPL Linux kernel modules?
> So,
>
> No more non-GPL Linux kernel modules 12 months from now:
>
> http://www.kroah.com/log/2006/12/13#2006_12_13

Reading that makes me feel exactly the same way I did when I first heard
about DRM. It seems to have the exact same "Buahaha feel the power as we
control what people can do" feel to it, more like a power trip than
something that's being done because it needs to. At least DRM was
implemented under the banner of protecting businesses' commercial
interests, but that's certainly not what's going on here.

Sure, I prefer using FOSS, but if I need a proprietary driver to get
something to work, I want to be able to use it, and no-one should have the
right to tell me otherwise just because they've decided it's "bad".

What's more the tone seems to be "Module developers have until 1st January
2008 to address their licensing" as if a tactic like this is magically
going to make everyone GPL their code. All it's going to do is alienate
developers and discourage support from hardware vendors.

> But Linus doesn't think it's the right thing to do:
>
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/475824

I couldn't agree more with his reply.

Mark