Re: [Hampshire] No more non-GPL Linux kernel modules?

Author: Alex
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] No more non-GPL Linux kernel modules?

> What do you think?
>
> I think it's good for GNU GPL and FOSS, but perhaps bad for the Linux

kernel.

I think Linus makes a *very* good point in his reply.

"

I happen to believe that there shouldn't be technical measures that keep
me from watching my DVD or listening to my music on whatever device I damn
well please. Fair use, man. But it should go the other way too: we should
not try to assert _*our*_ copyright rules on other peoples code that wasn't
derived from ours, or assert _*our*_ technical measures that keep people
from combining things their way.

He's right in my opinion. If the work is not derived from FOSS, why should
it be the kernel developers who govern it's distribution? Wont this alienate
not only the users who have to mess around doing this themselves (hackish
installation with a script when apt-get install mymodule would have done),
but also the vendors that are already reluctant to producing modules for
their hardware?

--
Alex Collins