Re: [Hampshire] Security cameras

Author: Peter Brooks
To: adam.trickett, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC:
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Security cameras
On 14/12/06, Dr Adam J Trickett <adam.trickett@???> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> A friend is planning to buy an expensive VW Van, and is worried about
> it being nicked or the contents of it being nicked. He was considering
> an option of using a selectiion of cameras connected to a small/slient
> PC storing the images/motion on a flash disk.
>
> I was thinking of something like an ARM based system, USB cameras and
> a 4Gb flash disk. Has anyone done something similar? If so how much did
> it cost? did it work? Was it a DIY solution or a bought system?
>
> As every thanks in advance.
>
> --
> Adam Trickett
> Overton, HANTS, UK
>
> I guess that, if you're in Microsoft's shoes, it makes sense. If you
> can't write software or protocols that can stably walk and chew gum,
> program in a limit that prevents the user from telling it to do so.
>    -- Jonathan Patschke, on limitations in Active Directory

> --
> Please post to: Hampshire@???
>
> Adam,

At our family home we've recently put some money into cctv after the nice
blighters around our area were nicking parts off our car, plus we have the
same situation with a VW van & goods.

Anyway we have got some cheap cameras and a digital video recorder (
http://www.avtech.com.tw/english/product_13_760.htm) for about £200 which
is actually just a pc inside but with the necessary software.