Re: [Hampshire] Security cameras

Author: Peter Salisbury
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Security cameras
On Thursday 14 December 2006 17:03, Peter Brooks wrote:
> On 14/12/06, Dr Adam J Trickett <adam.trickett@???> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > A friend is planning to buy an expensive VW Van, and is worried
> > about it being nicked or the contents of it being nicked. He was
> > considering an option of using a selectiion of cameras connected
> > to a small/slient PC storing the images/motion on a flash disk.
> >
> > I was thinking of something like an ARM based system, USB cameras
> > and a 4Gb flash disk. Has anyone done something similar? If so
> > how much did it cost? did it work? Was it a DIY solution or a
> > bought system?
> >
> > As every thanks in advance.
> >
> > --
> > Adam Trickett
> > Overton, HANTS, UK
> >
> > I guess that, if you're in Microsoft's shoes, it makes sense. If
> > you can't write software or protocols that can stably walk and
> > chew gum, program in a limit that prevents the user from telling
> > it to do so. -- Jonathan Patschke, on limitations in Active
> > Directory

> > --
> > Please post to: Hampshire@???
> > Web Interface:
> >
> > Adam,
>
> At our family home we've recently put some money into cctv after
> the nice blighters around our area were nicking parts off our car,
> plus we have the same situation with a VW van & goods.
>
> Anyway we have got some cheap cameras and a digital video recorder
> ( http://www.avtech.com.tw/english/product_13_760.htm) for about
> £200 which is actually just a pc inside but with the necessary
> software.

I set up a system at my previous church based on zoneminder
(zoneminder.com) which is an open source linux motion detection video
capture system. It was pretty cheap - about £40 for the capture board
and £100 for the (colour, waterproof) camera and £200 or so for a
lowish spec PC (~1GHz IIRC). ZM is a really usable system and can
email alerts and feed its database to apache for remote access if
it's online. The best thing is that it only records what you ask it
to (e.g. movement in this region here) so it keeps the storage
requirements down well.

HTH, Peter