Re: [Hampshire] Static IP address keeps changing

Author: Tim
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Static IP address keeps changing
On Friday 15 December 2006 00:43, Peter Brooks wrote:
> On 09/12/06, Tim <xendistar@???> wrote:
> >
> > This

> > the

> > never

> > static

> > > <snip>

> > > Well, your /etc/network/interfaces file should control whether dhclient
> > > is starting or not, and it looks correct to me. Who helped you set up
> > > your networking at the meeting? Perhaps they did something a little...
> > > non-standard?
> > >
> > > Tony
> >
> > My box is normally static, once Adrian and Hugo got the router running
> > (Adrian
> > had to pinch my keyboard!!) I had to switch to dhcp, so I asked Hugo how
> > who
> > told me to hash out the static bits /etc/network/interfaces and add the
> > lines
> > for dhcp, restart the network and that was it.
> >
> > When I got home I simply hashed the dhcp bits (ready for my next bab
> > attendance) and unhashed the static lines saved the file did a restart
> > and the rest is history.
> >
> > Tim

> Was this solved?
> Try adding the subnet on the end of the network line, or remove it
> completely since yours is standard.
> I.e network 192.168.1.0/<your subnet>

Sorry for not posting a followup, yes it was solved, I think what happened was
when I booted the pc on my return from the bab it brought up dhcp as per the
bab setting, I then stopped the network and set it to static and restarted
the network which then gave me the static IP ok but dhcpclient was still
running hence the problem.

Thanks all for the help

Tim