[Hampshire] Re: Security cameras

Author: Stephen Pelc
To: Hampshire
CC:
Subject: [Hampshire] Re: Security cameras
Adam J Trickett wrote:

> A friend is planning to buy an expensive VW Van, and is worried about
> it being nicked or the contents of it being nicked. He was considering
> an option of using a selectiion of cameras connected to a small/slient
> PC storing the images/motion on a flash disk.

You can do the electronics from EU 40 upwards if you don't need
a USB host. Ethernet is widely available. We run web servers and
GSM on single-chip ARM systems.

> I was thinking of something like an ARM based system, USB cameras and
> a 4Gb flash disk. Has anyone done something similar? If so how much did
> it cost? did it work? Was it a DIY solution or a bought system?

With low-end hardware, the best time/cost tradeoff will be some
sort of PC, whether ARM or i32 doesn't matter. The bigger issues
are power and comms.

If you want prevention, you'll need a tilt switch or motion
detector and a sounder - all standard security stuff. If you
want more, you'll need a GPS and GSM connection and a remote
system that causes action to be taken quickly. In some parts of
the world the standard service agreement is "armed response in
four minutes". If you just want to catch the little bleeders
later, camera and recorder systems are widely available.

When looking at existing kit, check that is was designed in
Israel, Northern Ireland or South Africa - it *will* have been
tested!

Stephen

--
Stephen Pelc, stephen@???
tel: +44 (0)23 8063 1441, fax: +44 (0)23 8033 9691