Re: [Hampshire] Linksys WRT54G

Top Page
Author: Andrew McDonald
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Linksys WRT54G

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57666100.hantslug.org.uk.10446': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Sat Dec 16 16:40:23 2006 GMT
gpg: using DSA key FCBBA9C8F2DEED36
On Sat, Dec 16, 2006 at 03:34:31PM +0000, luis wrote:
> Hi there , you all probably knew this but I did not, my broadband router
> Linksys WRT54G runs on Linux.
>
> What is even better is that by downloading Sveasoft, Batbox or
> Wifi-box.net, you can convert a simple and cheap device (uneder £ 50) in
> a device far more powerful and with lots of capabilities., ie increased
> signal strenght and the ability to run custom apps ( I do not know what
> this means).
>
> Has anyone tried modifying the device with the above firmaware?

I've got a WRT54GS running OpenWRT (http://openwrt.org/). I've been
quite pleased with it - it turns it into a more useful embedded device
rather than just being a router/AP. I have the wireless security set up
to use IEEE 802.11i with EAP and a radius server running on the router
itself. It also acts as my IPv6 tunnel endpoint.

Newer models of the WRT54G/WRT54GS run VxWorks rather than Linux. They
have less flash storage and RAM, making it more difficult to get Linux
running on them (and providing less space to do useful/interesting
things with them).

My WRT54GS currently seems to be having some hardware problems
(wireless fails to associate, etc). I'm probably going to replace it
with a WRT54GL, which is a version of the WRT54G that still runs Linux
(and has more memory/flash than the WRT54G).

Andrew
--
Andrew McDonald
E-mail: andrew@???