Re: [Hampshire] relay_recipient_maps equivalent in Exim4?

Top Page
Author: Steve Kemp
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] relay_recipient_maps equivalent in Exim4?

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x58088100.hantslug.org.uk.15584': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Wed Dec 20 10:48:03 2006 GMT
gpg: using DSA key C0CFC6B3CD4C0D9D
On Wed, Dec 20, 2006 at 10:39:37AM +0000, Tony Whitmore wrote:
> Subject line says it all really. In postfix it's possible to specify a
> relay_recipient_maps file which lists valid incoming e-mail addresses
> and bins the rest. Is there a simple equivalent configuration option for
> Exim 4?

Yes and no.

  I use virtual hosting as described here:

That means that I have one file per domain with contents like this:

/etc/exim4/virtual/steve.org.uk:
steve: steve@localhost
root: steve@localhost
*: :fail: I don't want your spam

As you can see the last line has the magical ":fail:" string which
will tell exim4 that recipients like "bob@???" shouldn't
be accepted.

By default Exim would be setup either with only accounts for system
users, or something you'll configure yourself. If the former then
non-system mail will be dropped automatically. If the latter then
whatever system you've chosen to use will almost certainly have the
ability to drop specific/wildcard recipients.

If you were to explain your current setup you might be able to get
more specific suggestions.

Steve